Marvelís Avengers...
Last post by vallor
02-15-2020 11:22 PM
9 Replies, 564 Views

Old 01-09-2020, 05:51 PM   #1
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Yes Woman's Land

If you hate Hello Games and No Mans Sky, you might want to watch this. Yes it's long, and no it doesn't completely excuse everything, but it may change your perspective.

Also, if you are not subscribed to Internet Historian, I pity you.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:30 AM   #2
RAV
Evil Dead

Satisfying conclusion. Good stuff.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:52 PM   #3
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV View Post
Satisfying conclusion. Good stuff.
Ok, that's just nasty. I couldn't get past the 49 minute mark myself.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:35 PM   #4
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Good on them for their dedication to the game. I picked it up on the first sale when Beyond came out but it was so mind-numbingly boring I am not sure I got past the tutorial. I was able to get a refund on Steam so I obviously couldn't stand playing it more than a few hours.

One thing that wasn't mentioned is that until 2019 they didn't ever do a price drop on it. Even now you can find it for sale for $30 on occasion but it's still $60 on Steam and other digital marketplaces. Three years after release.

That's pretty much unheard of; I've only seen it with PUBG in the past (who also never went on sale until mid-2019). Most games are happy if they can hold price across the board through two holiday seasons. NMS is on it's 3rd and no indication they might drop the base price.
vallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:55 PM   #5
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by vallor View Post
One thing that wasn't mentioned is that until 2019 they didn't ever do a price drop on it. Even now you can find it for sale for $30 on occasion but it's still $60 on Steam and other digital marketplaces. Three years after release.

That's pretty much unheard of; I've only seen it with PUBG in the past (who also never went on sale until mid-2019). Most games are happy if they can hold price across the board through two holiday seasons. NMS is on it's 3rd and no indication they might drop the base price.
Hehe... Dude, you are sounding dangerously like a progressive throwing a tantrum...

Screw those guys, I want it affordable so I can buy it! Down with the rich! Joker!

If the worst you can say about a game is that it isn't at the cheap price point that you like, then it's probably a pretty good game!
Old 01-11-2020, 03:05 AM   #6
RAV
Evil Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacerDawn View Post
Ok, that's just nasty. I couldn't get past the 49 minute mark myself.

But yeah, really cool how this worked out. That's some heroics right there. I don't think vallor was complaining either, is just interesting to note and impressive, that not only were they able to recover from such a terrible position, but come out stronger than most.

If I were to get serious, I'd probably start out cheap and increase price over time, as quality of the game and market interest justify. Reinvest, push quality, etc pp. Work it up, earn good will, expand. I might even not ever do a sale at all. I think it could work and make sense. Not necessarily, but it could. Haven't ever tried though.
RAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 05:50 AM   #7
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Hehe... Dude, you are sounding dangerously like a progressive throwing a tantrum...
No, I wasn't throwing any tantrum. I was just pointing out that in all my time in the industry I haven't seen a game hold price the way NMS had. It's a surprise because 99% of games are incredibly happy if they can keep their full retail price point for two holidays or one holiday season if they release mid-year.

NMS didn't follow the normal trend, outside of PUBG it is one of the few games I've seen that kept their price for nearly 3 years which is quite an achievement.

I know because I watched the game and waited till it was on sale to buy it Unfortunately, it turned out to be not something I enjoyed so I got a refund.

EDIT: This is compared to other digital releases on PC. PSN and Xbox Live keep prices high always because the market will let them and they sort of have a captive audience of people too lazy to do the research then go out to the store and buy the game where it is on sale.

Last edited by vallor; 01-11-2020 at 06:03 AM..
Old 01-11-2020, 07:35 PM   #8
PacerDawn
Choadwanger

Quote:
No, I wasn't throwing any tantrum.
Heh, I know I was just poking at you.

Quote:
I was just pointing out that in all my time in the industry I haven't seen a game hold price the way NMS had. It's a surprise because 99% of games are incredibly happy if they can keep their full retail price point for two holidays or one holiday season if they release mid-year.

NMS didn't follow the normal trend, outside of PUBG it is one of the few games I've seen that kept their price for nearly 3 years which is quite an achievement.
Actually, there are surprisingly quite a few titles that keep their full price for a long time. For example, Call Of Duty Black Ops II came out in 2012 and Steam has it listed for $60 (as of this writing). It's never dropped below $19 on most platforms. And that's just a 6 hour shooter that people mainly pick up for multiplayer. Even Black Ops I, which came out in 2010, is $40.

Quote:
I know because I watched the game and waited till it was on sale to buy it Unfortunately, it turned out to be not something I enjoyed so I got a refund.
Gotcha. I got it when it came out myself. My wife was in the hospital a lot back then so I got it to play while I spent my days there. I spent the entire time on the first planet I found and nearly maxed the upgrades on my ship. After a few days I stopped playing. I really need to crank it up again.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:51 AM   #9
Mad Max RW
Evil Dead

Since they’re putting out free expansions instead of paid DLC I think they get a pass.
Mad Max RW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:39 PM   #10
vallor
Michael Bay Fanboi

Quote:
Actually, there are surprisingly quite a few titles that keep their full price for a long time. For example, Call Of Duty Black Ops II came out in 2012 and Steam has it listed for $60 (as of this writing).
There is something interesting about digital stores where some titles rarely drop.

However, to hold price for nearly 3 years is staggering. Even Black Ops 2 went on sale within a month or two of release.